Relaxation | Post #3

Hi everyone! Thanks for checking out my third installment for my internship on Parliament Hill in Canada. As the title suggests, this week was significantly more laid back than the previous two. But, that said, don’t let the title lead you into thinking that these past seven days weren’t appreciated — they surely were.

This week of relaxation — a result of the House not being in session — was perfect for decompression. In the absence of my MP (duty called in Switzerland), the office was a lot more stress-free. Now, that is not to say that the MP brings along undue stress, BUT we definitely had a lot less on our plates than usual! It seemed as if we were always cracking jokes — not really minding if we lost track of time. And, while it may sound unprofessional, I took it to be relatively humanizing. Simply put, it was nice seeing everyone in the office (myself included) taking a deep breath in the aftermath of the past few weeks. In these moments — compromised of uncontrollable laughter and, for lack of a better word, bliss — I felt myself growing closer to colleagues and friends. When the pen meets the paper (or, in this case, my fingers meet the keys) words like uncontrollable and bliss sound relatively melodramatic. But, for the sake of transparency, I think they are pretty accurate.

I have been fortunate enough to have been surrounded by such sincere people, and although they offered their kindness in the initial weeks, it really resonated with me over the past seven days. My free time has afforded a lot of independence which has transformed into minutes spent reading articles, watching the news, eating, and, well, napping. Now, you might say: well, duh, that’s what life is about. You’d be right. And, despite this, I still am becoming somewhat fascinated by the mundane. I wake up. I shower. I eat breakfast. I walk to the office. I arrive. I work. I socialize. You get the gist. But, for some odd reason, I am finding it incredibly enjoyable — that is, living out a “real world” routine. Sure, at times I get nervous or intimidated or what have you. But, irrespective of these occasional emotions, inside and outside of the office, I am crafting who I want to be. What’s more, I think I am grasping my hands around my interests going forward.

So, I guess you could say that this week was great from a reflective standpoint. And, while I know this upcoming week will be busy, I am excited for it.

One thought on “Relaxation | Post #3

You have so many interesting perspectives! I would have never thought of relaxation and downtime to be humanizing, but now that you have said it, I can’t agree more. Being able to calm down with your friends and colleagues can be really rewarding. It’s really amazing to see that you’re getting a taste of the “real world” and that you’re developing who you are 🙂