4: Ramadan in Rabat

Rabat, Morocco –

It’s Ramadan! TLDR: Muslim adults can’t eat all day, but once the sun goes down, it’s SO worth it, as you can see from this lovely iftar (dinner) prepared by my host mom, Sanae:

Because everyone here (including me right now) is starving themselves, people’s patience and energy tend to plummet. I’ve seen more arguments break out on the streets, but since this month is about love, you’ll find a lot of this going on too:

After sunset, the city is much more awake. “Ramadan time” exists here, where businesses (including my internship!) will actually open later and close earlier during this month. I’ll  be in America next week, and I’ll definitely miss the luxury of sleeping-in during this month. Let’s be real: my 9-5 job in America just isn’t realistic when I stayed  up until 4am eating like I’m about to hibernate.

Some days are easier than others, but the fact that everyone here is suffering together makes it better. The sense of unity, patience, and self-restraint you learn during this month is beyond words. Here’s some inspiration I found while eyeing some juice in the suk:

Always remembert hat: iftar is coming.

One thought on “4: Ramadan in Rabat

It’s so cool that you got to experience Ramadan in Morocco! The food looks amazing and I can definitely understand the hanger. But I really liked what you said about the unity and patience that one can learn, and that is definitely an irreplaceable experience.