What Does HR Have To Do With Marketing…Everything

Hi!

My Name is Ken, and I am currently interning at the D&R Marketing Agency based in Detroit, MI. Over the past week, I have transitioned from the marketing aspect of the organization and am currently working within the Human Resources Department. When first entering this internship, I knew I wanted to gain a holistic experience regarding marketing but, I did not know this experience includes the tedious task of the HR Department.

The HR Department at D&R Marketing, similar to other organizations, manages new hires, employee complaints and suggestions, and external connections with partner organizations. I didn’t really know what I would be doing within the HR Department, but my initial thoughts were nothing like the reality. When I met with the Director of HR, she informed me that starting in June the marketing agency would be hosting a few high school interns and thought this would be a good opportunity for me to gain some leadership responsibilities. Therefore, she told me I would be the intern’s point person throughout their internship.

When she first told me this, a flood of emotions came out. I thought I would have to be responsible for a cluster of high school students, with no formal experience in hosting interns. When I voiced these concerns to the HR Director, she assured me I would only be a guiding force and that she would be there for any questions, comments or concerns either the interns or myself may have.

Following that meeting, she gave me a list of things that needed to be prepared before the interns start on June 5th.  The above screenshot is a sample of each intern’s virtual desk which I spent last week creating via Trello. The categories on the virtual desk include On-Boarding, Professional Development, Questions/Comments/Concerns, Announcements and Reminders, and projects. By putting together each of the five intern’s individual virtual desk I learned a lot about the behind the scenes actions which occur to help any organization be successful.

Can’t Wait To Tell You More!

One thought on “What Does HR Have To Do With Marketing…Everything

This is a super interesting perspective. I look forward to reading more of your posts throughout the summer. Good luck with your internship!