Post 4: Home Away from Home

My home away from home is a cultural milieu of people from all over India and the world: Pune, Chennai, Paris, and Ann Arbor. We share are cultures and experiences with one another. Every night we cook different genres of food. This week we had Monday North Indian, Tuesday French, Wednesday American, and Thursday South Indian cuisine. We have conversations ranging from feminism, international politics, to why carrots rot faster in India than they do in the States. During the week, we talk about how our days at work went, which bosses are friendly and which are not. On the weekends we travel, dance, and eat.

Living here is different and so much the same as at home. For example, sometimes the water just stops working here. At home, I’d call maintenance and there would be a whole fiasco. Here, we just fill buckets every morning in anticipation for the water to stop. It’s a peaceful way of life. Some things you just have to let go. I’m learning how to live with people that come from different backgrounds than my own. We are not Democrats or Republicans. There are no right answers, just discussion, sharing of viewpoints.

I feel like I’m learning so much from the people around me. I’ll say my opinion about something, listen to everyone else, and then question everything I just said. It’s the most wonderful privilege to be wrong or see something from a new perspective.

One thought on “Post 4: Home Away from Home

Hi Gilly,

It’s so refreshing to see an exchange of viewpoints without judgment. It seems like you are taking challenges in stride and have found a community to share your time in India with. Do you have ideas on how to bring this new perspective back home?

Looking forward to hearing more, and seeing pictures if you have any!

Best,
    Jenny