Blog #3 – Diversity!

The environment at Sandow has allowed me to greater understand what diversity in the workplace looks like in today’s society. Growing up in a household where I always felt empowered to a female I never realized the occupational segregation that exists between men and women. At Sandow there is about a 50-50 split between employees that are men and employees that are women. This split is something that other industries definitely do not experience in the same way. For example, I also work at a hospital during the week and I have noticed that the nursing profession is dominated by women. Similarly, as I walk the streets of NYC I cannot help but to notice groups of men in tapered suits entering a multitude of investment banks with very few women along their side. This has really shed light on the fact that as a woman in the workplace I will have to work very hard to maintain things like equal pay and equal treatment. This is something that I am learning through my internship experience in a hands on way.

I also have noticed the lack of ethnic diversity within my own digital team. Most of the employees are white and appear to be of some European decent. This has made me ponder the idea that my ethnicity has opened doors for me that I did not realize would not have been open if I wasn’t born the way I was. This is something I have begun to reflect on throughout my internship.

One thought on “Blog #3 – Diversity!

Excellent reflection, Kara!