Cusco Week 3

The past week has been busy and memorable, with many new arrivals and sad goodbyes. In the house I work in at the orphanage, I volunteered with two girls from another organization for the past three weeks. Since their last day was Friday, we made cookie dough at their hostel kitchen before heading to the orphanage, where we had the girls roll the dough and bake them in their large toaster oven. They had never tried chocolate chip cookies before, and luckily, they were a hit. 

On Saturday, several other volunteers and I went on an all-day tour of the Sacred Valley. We visited ruins Ollantaytambo, the market in Pisac, and the famous salt mines in Maras. The sights were beautiful, and it included a buffet lunch, so the day was a win all-around.

Yesterday, a new girl arrived to volunteer with me in the same house at the orphanage. While the two girls who just left were nearly fluent in Spanish, she knows absolutely none. Though I greatly appreciated (and took advantage of) their knowledge, it is nice to be on the other side of the table. Today she brought paper and popsicle sticks to make paper fish, and I brought coloring books.

This next weekend is my last, and I’ll be hiking to Machu Picchu. Though I have almost two weeks left, I feel like the time will fly.

One thought on “Cusco Week 3

I’m sorry you had to say goodbye to some people, but it’s really great to hear that you made great friendships through this. The picture looks really amazing, and I hope you enjoy Machu Picchu!