#GOALS! | #1

As someone who enjoys self-reflection and goal-setting, I took a lot out of Dr. Randall S. Hansen’s article Making the Most of Your Internship. Specifically, I resonated with two points in particular: “Create an Immediate and Lasting Strong Impression” and “Never Shun a Chance to Learn More About the Company/Industry”. In my past experience, I have found that it is very important to establish a strong impression at work. Typically, the first day, let alone the first week, often define the type of worker that you are. As such, I hope to make a professional, positive first impression by dressing appropriately (business professional), being a good communicator, and ensuring that I can be of help in any way possible, regardless of the task. In doing this, I hope to prove to my superiors that I am open to learning and willing to try new things. After working at Helmut Lang in the Summer of 2014, a “brother company” to Theory, I discovered that a variety of specialized workshop (including, but not limited to building a resume, interviewing, etc.) are presented to interns. In addition to taking advantage of these professional opportunities (whether they be voluntary or mandatory,) I hope to establish more individualized connections with some of my co-workers by seeking out personal insight and insider knowledge. In doing this, I hope to broaden my knowledge of the different roles within the fashion industry, as well as what they entail. In essence, I hope to take advantage of all the opportunities I am presented with in the hopes of soaking up as much information as possible.

One thought on “#GOALS! | #1

Great to hear that you want to take advantage of the professional development that they plan to offer. Best wishes as you start this new internship, Kayla!