The Best Staff Ever | Post #4

I can’t believe my internship is almost over. I have learned so much and experienced things I would have never imagined, but this post goes out to the incredible staff in my MP’s office.

Since day one, the staff has been incredibly warm and welcoming. Each week, the Member’s Assistant, Joanne, sits down and chats with me about my week, what I have been enjoying about my internship experience, and overall, showing unconditional care and concern for me. She treats me like her own daughter and has gone above and beyond to make sure I’m having a perfect time. This week, we were discussing how much I’ve learned and how much more confident I feel after this internship to speak up in issues I believe in. Joanne gave me so many words of encouragement and empowerment, reassuring me to continue fighting the good fight because she recognizes that ability in me. I am touched by how much she believes in me even after only knowing me for four weeks.

The Legislative Assistant, Tom, is the man. Every afternoon before lunch, he blasts music and fist bumps along to the beat–he calls it the “musical interlude.” He is hilarious, witty, helpful, and so easygoing. Having him as my mentor has been so special; in an environment where I would usually be uncomfortable, his friendly attitude has given me a sense of belonging in the office. Tom can talk on and on about any issue, I swear, and I have learned so much about both Canadian and American politics from these conversations. He’s a man who is confident in his convictions, and they have given me a better insight into my own political beliefs.

Lastly, my MP Cheryl embodies so many positive qualities that she has completely changed my outlook on politicians. Every conversation I have had with her has been genuine, and I see this in the way she interacts with others too. Although she is always on the move, she never fails to check up on me and to make sure I’m taking advantage of every opportunity while in Ottawa. I admire her for the issues she stands up for, but most of all, my time in Cheryl’s office has encouraged me as a woman to be a leader in male-dominated workplaces. We are always talking about what it’s like to be a woman involved in politics, and each time, I feel nothing less than empowered.

Overall, I feel more than grateful for the wonderful office I have interned for during my experience. They treat me like family, and I will always admire all of them for their positivity and endless care for everyone. I can’t believe I only have a week left here! I will miss them so much, but I am eternally thankful for all that they have done for me.

One thought on “The Best Staff Ever | Post #4

I can’t believe that it’s only been four weeks, and that your internship is almost over. It’s so good to hear how much of an impact this experience has had on you, and how it will shape your future! Have a wonderful last week.