Welcome Surprises

For the most part, my expectations for my internship have been accurate. However, that doesn’t say much because I didn’t have many expectations in the first place. One thing I was right about is the amount of research I’ve been doing. I’ve spent a large portion of my time searching the internet for information on a variety of topics for my boss at the travel company I’m working for. Although nothing I’ve researched has been too exotic, the real surprise is how much I’ve learned about things that had never once crossed my mind before starting my internship. For example, I’ve become very familiar with the region’s golf courses and the structure of youth swimming in the UK. I guess it’s the skill and not the subject that’ll matter in the end.

Another thing I was expecting but had not anticipated to extent to which it would occur, has been the amount that I’ve traveled for work. So far, I’ve had the opportunity to visit and tour four golf courses in the area. Two of the courses have been in Croatia, one in Italy, and one in Slovenia. All of them have been less than a two drive from my city. Growing up in the US, it’s hard to wrap my head around how close the surrounding countries really are. I’ve also had the chance to visit two attractions around the city. One of which were ruins of a Roman fort located above Rijeka, which now includes a park and a café, and the other was a historic resort town a few miles down the coast. It’s been wonderful to see these places with people who know them well. I’m grateful my boss has given me these opportunities and I hope there are more to come.

One thought on “Welcome Surprises

It’s always surprising to me how easily people travel between countries (even though Michigan is so close to Canada). Traveling so much for your internship is extremely exciting! Perhaps your future career will allow you to do that as well. 🙂