A Second Home #3

After a month of interning at the Carey Lab, the place is beginning to feel like a second home. My mentor, Thankam, is an amazing individual and under her guidance, I have learned a myriad of skills to prepare me not only for future research, but also for my personal and academic life. Thankam is largely responsible for my education and supervision in the lab. Her patience and compassion towards teaching students are just a couple of her exceptional qualities. Instead of scolding me for my mistakes during experiments, she always uses the accidents as learning opportunities. Her extraordinary commitment in educating students demonstrates her dedication in ensuring that students become engaged learners and researchers for both the present and the future. Her devotion to her work is not only inspiring to me, but also to everyone else around her. Furthermore, her constant encouragement promotes positivity in others, which creates a more positive and productive work environment. Although I have only known Thankam for a short amount of time, I feel as if I have known her for much longer. I feel comfortable consulting Thankam about both my personal and academic life, because Thankam treats everything seriously and will only offer genuine advice. As a result, I have learned to trust Thankam tremendously and I am honored to work with a mentor who lives each day with enthusiasm, optimism, and determination.

One thought on “A Second Home #3

It’s awesome that you’ve found such an inspirational mentor at your internship! I’m sure your mentor will continue to be beneficial to advancing your knowledge of this field of study!