Collections Internship on Mackinac Island-#1

This summer I am a Collections Intern on Mackinac Island, Michigan. I work at the state park, in both the collections facility, called the Heritage Center, and in the surrounding downtown historic buildings and fort. My task over these upcoming weeks will be to take inventory of all the objects owned by the state park, both pieces that are on display in exhibits, and those that are stored in the Heritage Center. I will be working closely with the registrar and another intern in order to complete this task.

I was drawn to this opportunity for a variety of reasons. I grew up visiting the Mackinac State Historic Parks every year as a child, especially Fort Michilimackinac in Mackinaw City. I credit the park with sparking my interest in history and interpretation, which has lead me to pursue the field of museum studies. It was always a goal of mine to work here, so when I saw this internship I knew I had to apply. Additionally, I was drawn to the experiences and opportunities it offered in my chosen career field. I’m very excited to be working in a historic collection facility, and at a site as large and well know as Mackinac. I just completed my first week here, and it has been just as awesome as I hoped. I look forward to what the next week will bring!

One thought on “Collections Internship on Mackinac Island-#1

What an awesome internship! It’s great that you have the chance to learn more at the place that inspired you to pursue this field of study. Enjoy your time on the island!