Constituent Services at the RNC Blog #1:

During my internship with the Republican National Committee there will be many opportunities and challenges that exist throughout my 10-week internship. With the political polarization within the United States at this time, many citizens are extremely unhappy or outright disgusted by our President, and Commander-in-Chief, Donald J. Trump. Although many Americans do feel that President Trump is doing a fantastic job in office, per the positive phone calls I received today, I also received plenty of phone calls, about how the President should be fined, impeached, or taken off the pedestal he put himself on. Specifically, after the announcement of the withdrawal from the Paris Climate Change Agreement, the phones were ringing off the hook. I was sworn at and told that I was going to “go to hell” for being a Republican. Now, as a new government intern, I, of course, was polite, and told them how much I appreciated their feedback and that I would relay their concerns to the RNC Chairwoman, Ronna McDaniel. I see that a possible challenge on a daily basis is answering these negative and hateful phone calls and sounding cheerful and happy on my end. It’s going to be tough and it has been hard being a Republican, especially in college. I was having a conversation with my fellow interns in the Constituent Services department and we were talking about our experiences with Republican backlash since the last election. I had said that one of my experiences was someone saying to me, “Wow… you’re so nice and you actually care about people! How are you a Republican?” It is hard being labeled as something that you know you definitely are not. Even in the Republican Platform for 2016 it states, “We denounce bigotry, racism, anti-Semitism, ethnic prejudice, and religious intolerance.” A lot of the phone calls attacked current Republicans in office and the RNC has to support Republicans, especially the President, 100%. The RNC does not dictate how Republicans vote on legislation either and that was another huge challenge when talking with the constituents today, and it will most likely remain a challenge throughout the completion of my internship.

Now, on a more positive note, there are also plenty of opportunities for networking, gaining knowledge, forming relationships with coworkers, supervisors, and my peers, as well as, gaining a new found love of Washington D.C., where I may possibly have a career post-graduation. Once a week, the RNC has scheduled lunches with the head of each department, including the Co-Chair, to learn more about the different opportunities within the RNC. In addition to this, my supervisor has scheduled a tour of the Capitol Building emphasizing the Christian characteristics of the building, we will have a tour of the Library of Congress and there are many other opportunities that I’m sure will arise as time progresses. I feel confident that having this internship will allow me to gain the experience necessary to have a higher level internship next summer or even return to the RNC if I really enjoy my summer this year. I am so blessed and thankful for this opportunity and could not be happier with where God has placed me for Summer 2017.

My supervisor had this lovely note waiting for us in our office.
This beautiful view is just one block away from the RNC!

One thought on “Constituent Services at the RNC Blog #1:

Taking those calls sounds difficult, but you seem to be doing great responding patiently! It’s great that you have support from fellow interns who may be dealing with the same. Awesome networking and learning opportunities, too!