Blog 3 – Having Fun Exploring

June 3, 2017

For the past week and a half, KEDGE has been on a break between sessions, so all employees have been given a small vacation. I used this time to visit my family in Amsterdam, Netherlands. I had not seen them in over ten years, so this was an especially important family reunion for me. I saw three of my cousins, my uncle and aunt, and my grandpa. My sister was also able to visit at the same time, and I had not seen her in over a month.

We did all sorts of things together and explored as much as we could. I know that this internship’s main purpose is for me to practice my French and for me to help the prospective students, but I’m glad I was given the opportunity to explore nearby cities and regions throughout Europe, because I know that I may not be on this side of the globe for a very long time after this internship finishes.

In addition to catching up and just having fun with my family, we took many day trips to several cities: Almere, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Zutphen, Utrecht, and even Antwerp in Belgium. We visited historical sites and different cultural sites. This trip also gave me an opportunity to learn about my family’s history and my family tree. My grandpa showed me many pictures of my family (both close and distant) and told us many stories.

One thought on “Blog 3 – Having Fun Exploring

Rawan, it’s so lovely that your internship also allows you to connect with your family! When I taught English in Taiwan last year, I loved the immersion in Taiwanese and Aboriginal culture at my workplace, but also extremely appreciated getting to visit my grandma and other relatives on some weekends. 🙂