Firsts Weeks #1

This summer I have begun working for the Department of Emergency Medicine in the VanEpps’ Lab at the University. I was very excited to begin this experience because it came highly recommended by my previous P.I. in the same department. Very different from my past position, my work now is primarily focused on traditional lab work. Now I am focused more on microbiology, using techniques and processes that are necessary for work in my field of study. It’s all very exciting. A lot of the work I do in the lab is also beyond my major, focused in chemical engineering; I particularly like this because it gives me more exposure to other fields of study. So far everything is going exceptionally well and I look forward to the future experiences I will have.  I’ve been thinking about and working microbiology in such detail that would not be able done in a classroom. There’s something about hands on experience that makes for a deeper and more detailed understanding of what I’ve learned in the classes I have taken. Deciding to pursue research during the summer is one of the best decisions I’ve made, it has forced me to recall details and information about biology that I  have long sense forgotten getting caught up in the more complicated details and am applying the knowledge I’ve gained. It has made me more confident in my abilities and I get to dive even deeper into the topics for my research.

One thought on “Firsts Weeks #1

Sounds like this is the perfect fit for you!