2: First week at GONG

The organization I’m working with this summer is called GONG, a political nonprofit that played a huge role in revealing corruption in earlier Croatian elections. Now they’re continuing their work towards civic education, human rights, and political/social justice. To start off, I went to a few meetings related to the organizations that GONG works closely was able to listen to their life stories, learn some history of Croatia, and discuss about how to approach intercultural education. But at the same time, it was tiring and frustrating to sit through several hours of Croatian and not being able to understand a meeting that I knew was interesting.

This week’s main event was the protest for education reform in Croatia. Although I wish I could have taken a larger part in this great protest, all I can say is that I helped gather the stickers I still see stuck on the walls of a few buildings.

My first task at GONG is an interesting research project: to investigate US university nondiscrimination policies while paying special attention to the exemptions that religious schools have in these policies. Being at GONG is what I expected – busy, meaningful, and interesting work. To end the work week, I ate lunch with Konrat (another UMich intern) and my two supervisors at GONG. I’m very excited that they’re so friendly and passionate about their work. They also have a really cute office dog 😀

For the fun during the week, two other UMich interns from Rijeka stayed with us in Zagreb for the weekend to explore the city and climb Mt. Medvednica!

2 thoughts on “2: First week at GONG

Your internship sounds incredibly interesting! Hopefully everything goes well and you learn a ton while you are abroad. Good luck 🙂

It’s so nice that you are working with an organization with really passionate and driven co-workers, and are also able to connect with other U-M interns! The pictures aren’t showing up for me 🙁 but I’m looking forward to hearing more as your internship continues.