Arriving in Warsaw | Week 0

Tomorrow is my first day of my internship at the Fulbright Commission in Warsaw, but I arrived in Warsaw a little over 3 days ago and I’ve been travelling for just over a month. So far my favorite thing about Warsaw is being able to unpack, it’s a luxury I never appreciated before spending a month visiting 9 countries. Other than that I’ve been enjoying exploring the city. On Friday I walked over to Old Town and took a free walking tour, which I have found is a great way to learn about the history and culture of a city. It was particularly interesting to me because a lot of my great grandparents immigrated from Poland to U.S. which was one of the reasons I chose this internship. On Saturday I did a food tour which took me through a typical Polish meal from Borscht to Donuts and the tour guide talked about the Polish connection between family and food, which helped me better understand the Polish culture. Then I met up for dinner with one other UofM interns in Warsaw and it calmed my nerves to hear him say that he’s been enjoying the past month he’s spent working here. And today, I went to the Warsaw Uprising Museum which was a little hard to navigate but was very informative, it covered the entire history of from before the uprising through it and then the aftermath. There even was a part where you could walk through the tunnels, just like the Warsaw citizens had when they retreated from the Uprising, and I’ll be honest it scared me a little bit how small and dark the spaces were, so I can’t imagine how hard it was for the people who were escaping. I also went to the Chopin Museum today which was surprisingly interactive. It was very cool to be able to experience his music while reading about his background. The best part was both of these museums were free today! Now I’m just getting prepared to start tomorrow, I’m excited to be getting into a routine again, but as I am with any first day a little anxious. I’m hoping that this internship will allow me to figure out what I want to do with my life and that my time in Europe and in Warsaw will allow me to grow. I’m attaching some pictures from my travels and some food pictures from Warsaw! Till next week!

Think Pizza House Cheesy Bread but with Mushrooms

2 thoughts on “Arriving in Warsaw | Week 0

I am jealous of your food tour! One thing I have found difficult is adjusting to a different cuisine, but it sounds like that helped develop your palate.

Your travels look so amazing! It’s great that you got a chance to learn more about Poland history and culture before starting your internship. Something that might also be interesting is talking to co-workers or other locals on their take on what you’ve learned so far, or to learn more about how food connects to Polish identity and culture!