Blog 5

Temples at Angkor Wat
Sunset on the Tonlé Sap

Work’s been picking up now as the digital editor is on holiday in Australia for the next 3 weeks and while he’s gone I’ve taken over running the online content, which means I’m now balancing that with my normal work for the print magazine. Quite a lot of work that often means me staying until 7 or 8 in the office, but in the words of the digital editor, “one temporary job at a time brother.” The extra work is definitely welcomed on my part.

Had an interesting meeting to lay out the concept of our annual Cambodian travel magazine with all the editors and the publisher. The meeting was on a slow Friday afternoon at one of the only microbreweries in Cambodia, which as it turns out is owned by the publisher. I missed the start of the meeting for an interview with one of the top Cambodian doctors, but the interview didn’t quite go to plan. She told me that the hospital wouldn’t authorize a single doctor to speak to any reporters in light of a doctor who gave an interview a couple years ago that was rather critical of government policy on healthcare. About two weeks later, the doctor was found murdered – served as an interesting reminder that when we publish stories we’re not only responsible for our own safety, but for that of everyone we cite in our stories as well.

After the meeting I impulsively got on a bus headed to Siem Reap in the north. Arriving around 5 am, I quickly dropped my bag at a hostel and went straight to the famous temples of Angkor Wat to see sunrise. It didn’t disappoint. Overall, I must have spent about 15 hours wandering the different temple complexes and surely still didn’t see all it had to offer. Despite having a certain degree of disdain for backpackers who seem to come especially to Cambodia to take advantage of cheap prices without having any knowledge of the country and contributing very little to its well being and then abruptly leaving, I had a good time drinking with them as all the bars outside the hostels were closed for election weekend.

The results of the election are spilling in now, but aren’t very clear. Many candidates from the opposition are claiming an early victory, but there’s really no way of knowing how true these claims are until the UN makes their announcements.

One thought on “Blog 5

Will, your experience both in Cambodian culture and in the workplace have had so much depth – I can’t wait to see what you are able to publish, as well as what you will bring back after this immersion in Southeast Asia.