Blog Post 1: Japan

My internship is working at a brewery in Naka, Japan. I was pretty excited for this job as it offered A LOT of new experiences for me. I’ve never been to Japan or made beer before. So being able to learn so much in a short amount of time was really appealing.

My goals include developing a better understanding of the fermentation process, what factors into the taste of each beer, and learning about Japanese culture. 1 week in I can say that everything is going well, although I think a lot of that is due to my intern status. I am not expected to work the demanding hours that actual team members put in, which is nice. Overall, it’s hard work, but a nice change from writing essay after essay back in Ann Arbor.

When I first arrived in Naka I met with the President of the company who asked me: did you come here for beer, or for Japan? The answer was beer, but I have been really impressed with this country as well. I think it’s the best country in East Asia by far, and I am constantly finding new things I enjoy here. I look forward to becoming self sufficient at work, and seeing the (oftentimes weird) mysteries that Japan has to offer.

2 thoughts on “Blog Post 1: Japan

Glad you’re able to explore your passion for beer! What’s your favorite thing about the country so far?

In general the food is good, women are beautiful, and climate has been nice. The Shinkansen is a marvel of public transportation and crime rate is really low. During the work week I don’t have much opportunity to get out of my village due to long hours and remote location, so I’m limited in what I can see and do. But there’s so much to like about Japan, it’s easier to find things I dislike lol