First Day on the Job | #1

Describe opportunities and challenges that you foresee your internship presenting.

I arrived at the Center for Financial Planning promptly at 7:30. My work, however, started at 8:30. I had the morning jitters and I became anxious for the first day: What if I arrived late? Would they fire me on the first day? What’re the people going to be like? Will I get along with them? What if I can’t keep up with the work load? Would they forgive my cluelessness and clumsiness?

I walked in and the first thing I noticed was the atmosphere. Everyone was jolly and close. I was swept up in their welcome and soon after, I was put to work, attending back-to-back meetings with financial planners to get the scoop on my portion of the 20+ projects. I felt like I was being overloaded. There were so much information-packed meetings where everything was flying over my head. Consequently, I think my greatest challenge will be juggling all the projects at once, and also not being burnt out so quickly.

Of course, there are always some positives in all this. I only got a general taste for each department, but I think the best way for my career path to become clearer is to delve into these projects and fully understand the works. Moreover, it helps that I love this place! The fact that there’s fewer people makes this company feel much more like a family; it’s organized, it has clear values/goals that they’re reaching without difficulty, they’re enthused… Honestly, this is the best thing that could happen to me. With such a tightly-knit community, I don’t feel judged for what I don’t know, and they are more than willing to teach me anything I’m curious about. Everything is well orchestrated and handled, that I don’t think I’ll have trouble understanding the objective of the projects or being unsure of a deadline.

I can’t wait to see where this will take me!

One thought on “First Day on the Job | #1

The first day in a new work environment can definitely be overwhelming. It’s great that you have a nonjudgmental place to learn in and support from your colleagues! It sounds like you’ll learn a lot from the exposure to different departments.