First Week Up North #1

I just arrived in Traverse City, a place up in northern Michigan that I have not been to since I was very young. Every summer there Traverse City holds a Film Festival that Michael Moore began over decade ago. I applied for the Kids Fest internship, and I was so excited to hear that I received the opportunity to spend my summer in a new place, something I have never done before. Part of this feels like freshman year all over again, because I do not know the town, or the people, and I am also staying in a dorm. But this is also a larger cause than freshman year as I am not part of this larger community that constantly thinks about school. This allows me the chance to take a small step in what my future might hold. I hope to travel when I am older, and it is important to get used to not knowing everything about a place. Getting to live, even if for just two months, in a new city is a great blessing to me.

One week into the internship, I am already picking up some office skills. I’ve never worked an office job before, and it is much different than retail. There are different types of tasks, and I actually have my own desk (well half of a large desk). I get to explore Traverse City’s State Theater (it has been ranked in the top internationally), and walking inside it for the first time was an amazing experience. It fills me with hope and excitement, I feel optimistic about what is to come, and I hope it leads to find more about what I want to do after college. It is putting me outside my comfort zone, and I am thankful because of that.

One thought on “First Week Up North #1

This sounds like its going to be an amazing experience for you! I can’t wait to read more about your experiences in the Film Fest and your adventures.