The First Few Days (1)

Internship Blog 1

My internship is at The New York Review of Books; more specifically, I will be working for the press associated with the publication, New York Review Books. There are a few different sections of the press, so I do work for The Little Bookroom, New York Book Review Classics, and the poetry and comics divisions (to a lesser extent.) Throughout my internship, I will be writing pitch letters and press releases for the books that are coming out during the Spring /Fall 2017 seasons, and possibly some of the Winter 2018 books later in the summer. I was drawn to this opportunity because I have always loved the writing in The New York Review of Books publication, and I grew up with some of the Children’s Classics published by NYRB. When I interviewed for this marketing and publicity internship, I was told that I would learn a lot about literature, and that is what solidified my desire to take the position. 

I work Mondays- Wednesdays, and so far, have loved it. I’ve learned so much about books, authors, and the inner workings of publishing in just a couple weeks. It is strange to be in an office that’s so quiet; I’m not used to that kind of work environment, but whenever people have questions for each other / me, they send an email instead of knocking on cubicle walls. While the lack of noise at first felt somewhat awkward (i.e., it meant everyone could hear my whispered questions about how to use the copying machine), there are a few welcome disturbances. A few days ago, one of my coworkers brought her three year old daughter into the office. She became everyone’s “assistant” for the morning, helping to peel labels off of packages, giving everyone pens, and pointing us helpfully in the direction of the mailroom. In the afternoon, once she had tired of these jobs, she was given an iPad and headphones and decided to watch the movie musical Grease. For every single song — but especially “You’re the One That I Want” — she sang out her own rendition of (both parts of) the duets. Of course, everyone in the entire office could hear her — and they all came out of their office for a moment to smile and dance with her for a little bit, while they were getting supplies ready to go to Book Expo America the next day. 

2 thoughts on “The First Few Days (1)

How was the Book Expo America?

• June 28, 2017 at 12:47 am

I actually couldn’t go this year, but from what I heard it was great!! I’ve gone in previous years as a guest and have always loved it — it’s a great place to learn about the books that are coming out in the next fall season and grab some advance copies for reviewing purposes!