Making beer in Japan!

When I first found out I was going to Japan, Naka was far from what I had in mind. As we drove into Ibaraki, the landscape was strikingly different from the one I saw on landing in Tokyo. Rice fields stretch out as far as the eye can see, and the flashing neon lights and loud music are gone. “What have I gotten myself into”, I think to myself on my almost 30-minute bike ride to the nearest convenience store. During the one week that I’ve been here, though, my attitude towards life in Naka has changed drastically. I’ve learnt to appreciate this time I have away from city life, and I hope to explore more of what Ibaraki has to offer.

My internship is at the Kiuchi Brewery, where I am learning about how craft beer is made, and also how an almost 200-year old family operated business has managed to remain successful all this while. So far, the work has been hard, and not exactly as glamorous as I was hoping for it to be, but I’ve probably learnt more here in a week than I did all of last semester in college. The hours are long, but they seem to fly by pretty fast, and I really like the people I work with at the factory. Hopefully, during the next 7 weeks that I’m here, I can teach myself to become more independent, and also more open to trying new things.

4 thoughts on “Making beer in Japan!

I had no idea that breweries were prevalent in Japan, what sparked in your interest in breweries? Sounds like you’ve been challenged but I hope it becomes more comfortable as time goes on!

• June 9, 2017 at 11:59 am

I didn’t really have an ‘interest’ in breweries before I applied to this internship, I just thought it would be something different and interesting I could do over the summer, and I’m glad I decided to go ahead with it!

Has living in a more rural environment changed your perspective about city life? I’m glad you’re enjoying your work and that you’re learning so much!

• January 31, 2018 at 6:52 pm

What an amazing experience! Not only living in a village in Japan, but brewing craft beer, in a 200 year old brewing company at that! You will cherish this experience for the rest of your life. You are right, working in a brewery is not glamorous. It is hard work, heavy lifting, cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Most people don’t realize this. Would you ever brew beer on your own?