Bringing Football to Italy

During my time in Rome it felt as though identities of others were so similar as compared to mine most likely due to the fact that I was in such a foreign place that I could not identify the differences as easily. In regards to an identity of mine that really stood out, however, my love for football was something that fascinated the people that I worked with. In Italy the biggest and most beloved sport is soccer. No question and end of story. There really are not a ton of other sports that even enter the landscape of sports played in the country. As a result, when they figured out about our connection to “American football” as they call our game it was a great connecting point for us. They had so many questions about the sport, from the different rules of the game to dominant players in the United States and so on. From there I was able to use this connection to move on to other topics of conversation with the individuals I worked with, so it was definitely a nice icebreaker to have with people I had never met before in a country I had never been before. They became so enamored with the game that they were even interested in starting to watch it and going to a game, so that was a pretty cool experience to be able to share with them.

2 thoughts on “Bringing Football to Italy

It’s great that you were an ambassador of American culture, did you allow yourself to explore why people are so passionate about the world’s game of football? If so, what did you learn about the similarities between fan passion and the game itself?

I was not able to find a definitive answer as to why people around the world are so passionate about the game of football, but if I had to guess it would be the unknown aspect of the sport because it is so heavily concentrated in the United States. I think that fan passion is extremely similar wherever you go in the world, but what game they support has much more of a regional factor to it.