Blog 1 – Before the Internship

Hello!

Because many of you may not know exactly what I am up to this summer, I will start by explaining the work I will hopefully be completing. I will then outline some important goals I have set for myself for my time in this internship.

(Not my image)

I am going to be working for a research team at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York. They have completed research in various topics within the field of neuroscience, psychology, and even social work. They are currently conducting a study in order to gain a better understanding of the neurobiological underpinnings of reward processing and cue-reactivity in individuals with chronic cocaine use disorders. This basically means that they are interested in seeing any differences in how chronic cocaine users can be conditioned with the use of rewards from people who have not used cocaine on a chronic level. There will be clinical aspects, such as patient interviewing and behavioral data collection as well as scientific, such as EEG brain scans and neurobiological mapping.

Now, as far as my goals for this internship stand, I am having some difficulty. Without having begun my work at the hospital yet, I do not know exactly what is in the realm of possibilities for my specific work goals for this internship. However, I do have broader goals for myself and those are as follows: I hope to gain a better idea of what it is like to work in a scientific research environment. Although I have completed research in the past, it has been all behavioral and clinical work, therefore I am hoping to see if I am equally as comfortable and passionate about my research in a more scientific setting. Another goal I have set for myself is to create networks and connections within the neuroscience field. Having worked in the clinical psychological side of research for the past 2 summers, I have many connections to those jobs, however, I am hoping to create some more in the field of neuroscience.

I am very excited to begin my work! Thanks for reading.

Emily D

I am an incoming senior at the University of Michigan studying biopsychology, cognition, and neuroscience. I am currently interning at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City in their brain research unit. My research team is currently conducting a study in order to gain an understanding of the neurobiological underpinnings of reward processing and cue-reactivity in individuals with chronic cocaine use disorders. I am thrilled and excited to begin my research in this field.

One thought on “Blog 1 – Before the Internship

Thanks Emily for sharing your larger goals! As your internship gets underway, I’d be very curious to see what other goals emerge.