Favorite Experience at ANKURI

Working as an intern in ANKURI has been a life changing experience. Upon entering Dehradun, India, I was already blown away with the generosity of the people and my mentor, Rachna Dushyant Singh. But, who knew there was so much more to come. My favorite experience as an intern this summer is the time I spend working with the students in the village schools. I work at two different schools – The Galaxy and The Seedling School. The other interns and I create daily lesson plans for the kids in which the subject content ranges anywhere from covering basic English conversational skills to learning about the human body to our solar system. Although, the task at hand is usually challenging, it is also the most rewarding experience. The children have so much energy and enthusiasm to learn. They come in everyday to conquer a new topic, play some games, and have fun overall. Besides our daily lessons, I also enjoy talking to the children and learning about their day-to-day life. The children walk daily to the schools, some coming from 40 minutes away just to spend a few hours with the interns. While we do an in-depth coverage of different subject content, we also crack jokes and have stimulating discussions. Amidst all of the learning, I feel the most rewarded when my students appreciate all the work and express their emotions with little gifts for me such as the beautiful, red roses that grow in the foothills of the Himalayas. I feel satisfied to see that the students really enjoy their time in my classroom, and at the end of the day, each student takes away something from our discussions.

2 thoughts on “Favorite Experience at ANKURI

It’s great that you were able to connect with the children and influence their learning experiences.

I’m glad you’re enjoying your experiences with your students! I can tell they really appreciate your time working with them and that they love having you around. That kind of connection can be really fulfilling 🙂