Favorite Project So Far | #3

Describe your favorite project or presentation that you have completed for your internship.

As you probably know by now, I am currently interning in the e-commerce sector of a cosmetic skincare company called TULA. Although much of my work consists of technical and marketing elements, I have slowly begun to be its graphic designer as well. I have always been into graphic designing and have worked on this skill for quite some time (I am a graphic designer for a couple of student organizations at UMich as well).

Recently, I had the opportunity to exercise my skills, and they loved it! TULA does have a graphic designer of their own, but she is a freelance worker and lives out of the country. Therefore, communication and turn-around speeds are slower. With me around, TULA is able to have urgent graphics completed then and there.

One of my favorite projects that I’ve done in terms of graphic throughout my time here is an illustration for a blogpost on pH. TULA needed a pH scale created that not only informed what ‘acidic’ and ‘basic’ meant, but also something that indicated how pH tied in with optimal skin. It took a while to think of a design that clearly organized the information as well as being aesthetically pleasing. A huge obstacle I had to overcome was working with a range of colors. It’s an unspoken rule that when creating an infographic, the diversity of colors should be kept at a minimum. This reduces the the chance of readers being distracted by the various colors and strain in readers’ eyes to read every bright hue. It even helps keep things to be emphasized when they should be (if everything was in neon colors, nothing would really ‘pop- out’). But what did this have to do with pH? pH is generally indicated by a rainbow-ish range of tones: purple on one end with red on the other and everything else in between. With all these colors being mandatory in use, pleasing aesthetics was an incredible challenge to achieve.

Draft after draft, I slowly felt like this would be an impossible project. But I pulled through. I’m not really a person who gives up easily. And so I completed it. I finished, and it was up with the blog content I had helped edit (in regards to writing). The page looked seamless. It made me proud, it made me happy, and, most of all, it made me feel accomplished. So here I am, proud to present you the link to the blogpost that not only features my graphic, but also my hard work and persistence.

Check out the seamless blog here (I really made every single thing on that pH graphic; from the boxes to the minutest icons).

Here’s the image though!

Made by me!

2 thoughts on “Favorite Project So Far | #3

That’s a really professional-looking graphic! You’ll definitely be able to show that off to future employers in your portfolio. I’m sure you’re a very valued member of the team.

That’s beautiful! It must have felt so great to take something from start to finish, and to connect a skill that you have been passionate about to the workplace. 🙂