Middle of trip

I have had many memorable moments thus far as as an intern this summer.

One of my favorite experiences, however, was meeting the High Commissioner of India to Canada. I had the opportunity to speak with Mr. Vickers Swarup in a lunch in the Parliamentary Dining room along with MP, Sukh Dhaliwal, and the legislative assistant in his office. An acclaimed writer, Mr. Swarup wrote the novel Q&A, the basis for the award-winning movie Slumdog Millionaire. With Swarup creating such an impactful literary legacy, meeting him was an important moment for me. Discussing his work and time in Canada, I saw how he was able to motivate and inspire many in his various roles as both an author and governmental official.

Another memorable moment during my internship was my visit to the National Gallery here in Ottawa. Being an Art History major, I am always excited to see first-hand a nation’s collection. In the museum there was a great emphasis on Canadian aboriginal art, both historic and present day. I was intrigued by certain aboriginal artists’ bold lines, colors, and patterns, creating juxtaposed and vibrant compositions. Additionally, the museum encompassed many of the artists I had studied at Michigan across different time periods and locations, so I was very grateful to have had the opportunity to see these works of art in person.