My Media Internship | #1

A few months ago, I was lucky enough to be accepted into the National Journalism Center, a project of the conservative grassroots organization the Young America’s Foundation. The National Journalism Center pairs interns up with media organizations across Washington D.C. I have been paired up with The Daily Caller, a news and opinion website co-founded by Fox News’ Tucker Carlson.

Once a week, I will be traveling to Reston, VA to attend National Journalism Center classes at the Young America’s Foundation’s headquarters. During these classes, journalists from across the country come to speak to offer tips and advice from their own experiences. In addition to hearing from many different speakers, NJC students also receive training from some of the best and brightest in media. We will be attending workshops and engaging in seminars in order to improve our writing and reporting skills.

For four days a week, I will be working at The Daily Caller’s office in Washington D.C. At The Daily Caller, I will be writing articles, helping out with the company’s social media accounts, and conducting research for reporters. I will have the opportunity to publish my own stories and hopefully do my own investigative pieces.

I was drawn to this opportunity because of my love for politics and writing. Journalism offers me a great chance to combine these two passions. I am also aware of the important role of a journalist. Everyday, millions of people are counting on journalists to stay informed. Perhaps now more than ever, it is important that we have journalists trained in accurate and balanced reporting. Being a journalist comes with a lot of responsibility—a responsibility that is so crucial in maintaining our democracy.

Through my work at the National Journalism Center and The Daily Caller, I believe I can begin my journey in truly making a difference in the journalism field. After participating in this program, I hope to have further developed my writing, analytical, and reporting skills and I hope to gain a deeper understanding of everything that goes into writing an article. I want to engage in meaningful public policy and current event discussions with both my peers and professionals in media, and acquire new knowledge that I can bring back to Michigan’s campus for my senior year and well beyond.

One thought on “My Media Internship | #1

What a great opportunity for you! Glad you’ll be able to continue to develop your skills and even publish your own work.