First Day back at Merit Network | #1

It feels great to be back in Ann Arbor and working as an intern at Merit Network for the rest of the summer! During the school year, I also did some work at Merit network as a part of the Michigan Research Community conducting Computer Science related research under the supervision of Dr. Michalis Kallitsis. On my first day I was pleased to meet 3 new co-interns that I will be working with for the rest of the summer. Although we are working on different projects, I can already begin to see where each person’s individual skills will be incredibly useful.

For my internship, I will be finalizing a few loose ends from the project that concluded in April and then moving on to something slightly different. Specifically, the former research project focused on developing new programs to effectively analyze internet traffic data that will warn in the event of upcoming and/or ongoing denial of service cyber attacks. These attacks are an increasing threat to internet infrastructure and have the potential to cripple internet access over extended periods of time. Some people might remember a similar attack in October of 2016 which took down websites like Spotify, Twitter, PayPal, and Github for hours.

This project is especially interesting to me because of the real difference I can make each day. Cyber security is a crucial in this digital age and I take pride in knowing that the code I write is helping to build a more secure future. I cannot wait to continue my internship here at Merit Network and eventually earn my Computer Science degree at the University of Michigan!\

— Owen W.

One thought on “First Day back at Merit Network | #1

Congratulations Owen! It sounds like this internship is really going to provide the skills to help you towards that Computer Science degree.