Week 2 started off much as Week 1 had, with a lot of reading material to familiarise myself with the industry and the company’s niche within it. While I didn’t appreciate the necessity for doing so at the time, I soldiered on, wading through a 134-page policy document published by the Indian Government, numerous articles describing the need for the very solution that we are looking to provide and patents registered by our competitors. However, no sooner was I done than I was handed my first project- designing a mechanical linkage system. I was very excited about this as the project had its roots in my area of expertise but the analysis lay outside of my current capabilities. This was therefore an opportunity for me to learn to use a new software as well as add value to the company. Pretty soon the work snowballed and my supervisor began assigning me a new project every two days. I have just finished work on a cooling system using theory I learnt in ME 235 this past semester. It was a vastly different experience to design a vapour compression cycle from scratch and not just solve for pressure and temperatures as was taught in the course!
Overall, I am developing as an engineer.