The End | Post #5

I cannot believe that my five weeks in Ottawa are already over! I had the most incredible time here, and this internship experience exceeded far beyond my expectations. I am so thankful for the wonderful people I have met and the unique experiences I have had.

Being so immersed in Canadian politics, I feel like I have truly grown as a student and an American citizen. I have a much better grasp on Canadian-U.S. relations and overall have a wider interest in international relations. My perspective has changed over the course of the internship as I realized I still have so much more to learn about politics. Being surrounded by so many bright individuals who are passionate about political activism, I am much more aware of the importance of having people like them around who challenged me in my thoughts and have made me a more open-minded person. Overall, from this experience, I have learned to engage in political conversation in a much more productive and understanding way.

With my MP’s work on the Subcommittee of International Human Rights, I have got to sit in on so many cool meetings. UN Special Rapporteurs, Amnesty International representatives, internationally-recognized human rights activists–I got a firsthand look at human rights work that I probably would never have experienced elsewhere. Inspired by their stories and my MP’s commitment to advancing international human rights, I hope I can practice this form of law some day.

All in all, my internship experience was extremely rewarding and fulfilling. I am honestly in disbelief at some of the events and experiences I got to take part in, and they are memories I will carry on with me forever. Thanks for the best time, Ottawa; I’ll be back soon!

One thought on “The End | Post #5

I’m glad you had such a fulfilling and rewarding experience in Ottawa! It’s really great to hear how you’ve developed through your internship and I have no doubts in the future that you’ll make a positive impact on international human rights. Safe travels home!