Chickens, Alpacas, and Cattle Oh My! | #1

This summer, I will be working at Domino Farms. Not in the petting zoo exactly, but in Lobby A – home to the Michigan Clinical Outcomes Research and Reporting Program. For the next 8 weeks, I will be working on completing patient chart reviews and extracting data relevant for the construction of medical databases such as the Cardiac registry and the MAQI2 registry. When I first applied for this internship program, I was excited to gain exposure to high volumes of medical information, thrilled to be getting lectures from renowned Cardiac surgeons and medical professionals, and excited to be a part of a fun intern class. Along with helping extract patient data for a database, I will be completing my own research project to examine factors impacting the quality of life for cardiac patients.

As I started the internship a week later than my fellow interns, due to returning back from Vietnam late, I struggled to keep up with the data extraction training. The ability to understand some of the medical terms I was encountering was very difficult because I have not taken a biology class since Freshman year and have yet to take an anatomy class. Furthermore, one of the biggest challenges I will face during this internship is the ability to pay attention to detail because of the meticulous notes that I will have to comb through in order to find the correct data to extract. However, this same issue can be a great learning experience and I am excited to learn more about Cardiac conditions and medical procedures to familiarize myself with the medical field more.

One thought on “Chickens, Alpacas, and Cattle Oh My! | #1

Can’t wait to hear more about your experiences! (with maybe an alpaca or two thrown in!)