1 | After a Three Day Car Ride ..

I finally reached Happy Valley-Goose Bay, a town in northern Canada. A town which, thankfully, is a bit warmer than you might think but has a surprising amount of sand.

I’m working with researchers on the Community Vitality Index (CVI), a project using tools including a survey and community discussions meant to understand women’s perspectives with a focus on the experiences of Indigenous women and other women of color. The information gathered will be used to track changes in the wellbeing of women in the area.

I was interested in the project because in research and society women’s experiences and perspectives are overlooked. When these perspectives are discussed, not enough attention is given to how different identities (like race and class) influence the lives of women. By working with researchers in on the project, I hope help bring more attention to women and the different challenges they face.

Listening and documenting the stories of the women in the area are especially important considering the people in this and surrounding communities are facing serious environmental consequences due to the construction of the Lower Churchill hydroelectric dam.

Working on this project will show me more about how gender, race, and resource extraction impact the lives of people. Although the project is in Canada, I will be able to relate much of what I learn to social and environmental issues in the United States. With more knowledge about how these three subjects play into each other, I will have a wider lense to view policies affecting women, communities of color, and the environment in the U.S.

3 thoughts on “1 | After a Three Day Car Ride ..

This internship sounds really amazing and incredibly important! I really hope it goes well, and you are able to learn a ton of new and interesting material. Good luck 🙂

I really appreciate your passion for equality and how you hope to bring back what you learn and apply it to the U.S. Looking forward to reading more about your experiences 🙂

Hi Corey,

Glad to hear you made it there safely! Your internship sounds to be quite intersectional, and I’m excited to hear more about what you discover. I completely agree with you in that dialogue about women’s experiences often seem one-dimensional, and race, class, etc. are rarely included. I don’t know if you’ve considered this already, but if you are really interested in this, I would recommend taking some environmental justice classes when you come back to Michigan!

Best,
    Jenny