Goodbyes and Hellos l #3

First things first: I’ve been informed recently that actually this entire time I should have been writing in English – my apologies to any potential readers whom I have isolated with my Spanish entries! With that out of the way, welcome to my third blog entry in my time here in Argentina. Things are definitely starting to slow down; not at all in a bad way, just in the sense that not everything is new all the time which is how it was the first few weeks. This is not to say that I’m not having new experiences, merely that the hostel, my work, and the city as a whole and its people are beginning to feel a whole lot more natural. That being said, as so often happens just when things are starting to feel familiar the winds of change breezily meander their way back into our lives, making sure we don’t get too comfortable. Two great friends that I’ve made at the hostel are either traveling to new places or heading back home, in addition to two interns with whom I’ve become close finishing their time at my work. Obviously, given the nature of a hostel and/or a company who hires mainly interns, other friends I’ve made have come and gone, however never so many at once. I’m an introvert who’s barely been in a foreign country for three weeks, so I recognize that it would almost be insulting for me to insinuate that I know them personally or that their departure will  tear my world apart, however I would also argue that the severance of any beyond surface-level relationship creates a small albeit undeniable void, and so multiply that by four and even a recluse like me cannot ignore its impact. Thankfully, however, just as change tends to blow in just as one as getting comfortable, the second half of that inevitable equation is the creation of new opportunities through that change, and this manifested itself as two new friends and two separate trips to a horse race track and an amusement park. One of the 2 other U of M students also interning here, Perie, recently discovered that one of her good friends, Mitch, is also here taking Spanish 230, and so we met up with him and one of his 230 classmates on Thursday to go bet on some horse races. There’s a track here in Buenos Aires that has races from 2:30-9, so we had dinner together and then made it to one of the last races. This ended up being a crazy night, complete with a full-blown celebration after Perie’s friend Mitch somehow correctly bet on the 1st and 2nd place horse. Everyone else took Friday and Saturday to rest and recover, while Tara (the 3rd U of M student) and I headed out to a city called Tigre on Saturday for a day of sightseeing and rollercoasters. It really is incredible and cliché how the old seems to balance out with the new. Finally, in terms of my actual internship, the slow progress that I was promised at the beginning is beginning to take shape: in addition to the translations I’ve been doing that I mentioned in previous blogs, I’ve now started to transcribe and take notes on some interviews that my other coworkers have done with some of BusinessPress’s clients. This has been incredibly challenging for me due to the interviews themselves obviously being in Spanish and there being (despite my many efforts) no real way to slow down the audio. My listening skills, however, are without a doubt improving by leaps and bounds, in that just over the past week my transcription process has gotten noticeably faster; these tasks are shaping up to essentially be a trial by fire, through which I will hopefully emerge heavily improved. As always, my pictures for the week are here at the end, and I’m just now realizing I’ve never posted some of the spectacular view from my work, so those will be added to the mix towards the end (or the beginning, depending on how cluelessly I format them). Thanks for reading!!

Sunset from work
Sunset from work
Coworkers
Statue downtown Palermo after horse race
Chinatown in Tigre
River in Tigre
Statue in Tigre

One thought on “Goodbyes and Hellos l #3

Hi Matt,

Glad to see that you are adapting well to so many changes with living and working in Argentina and that you are becoming familiar with Buenos Aires! Even though you may not have been super close with the other hostel friends, they’re still people who have served as a sense of support and connection. It’s fortuitous how new opportunities opened up right after!

Thanks for the great photos too. 🙂

Best,
    Jenny