Introduction | #1

I learned about my summer internship from the principal investigator (PI) of my lab I work in. To give some background, I found my lab because of my organic chemistry professor. During office hours, I went to them to ask some chemistry questions but also to get to know them and discuss research in general. I voiced my curiosity and desire to join a chemistry lab and my professor urged me to do so. I was concerned it was too late in the semester and I would have a difficult time finding a lab to join, but my professor gave me wonderful advice and convinced me that it wasn’t too late. After researching and sending emails, I got a reply and the rest is history.

After many months in the lab, the PI came to me and asked me about my summer plans. She helped me find and apply for many different summer research internships. I’m very thankful that she was so involved and active in helping me.

I am a part of an internship that is focused on interdisciplinary research. The program consists of various students involved in different fields and each project has an interdisciplinary aspect to it. There are students in engineering, biology, psychology and many more. I appreciate this interdisciplinary aspect because it provides different perspectives and experiences. As a chemistry major, I get a lot of exposure to other students in STEM fields but I enjoy seeing what other people are studying and how their experiences can be so different. Additionally, the lab I work in also has an interdisciplinary aspect to it. We have collaborators with other labs and within the lab, there are people with different backgrounds, such as organic chemistry, computational chemistry, microbiology, biochemistry, and biology, and everyone has different skills as well. It really shows how interdisciplinary work is beneficial.

photo cred

One thought on “Introduction | #1

This interdisciplinary project sounds amazing! Can’t wait to hear more about your experiences!