Making beer in Japan! | #2

Another week comes to an end in Naka, and it seems like the more time I spend in this village the more I seem to like and appreciate living here, in this serene bubble away from the noise and commotion of the city. Life is peaceful here.

As I mentioned in my last blog post, making beer isn’t quite as glamorous as I initially thought it would be, but I love my job so far and working in a brewery has helped me learn a lot. I was never really sure about how well I’d be able to handle a full time job, but the 9 hours at the brewery every day feel much shorter than I’d imagined. I feel quite fortunate to be an intern, as this means that I get to leave by 5:30pm every day while some of the full-time employees have to stay till as late as 10:30pm working. I also get weekends off, which means I can use this time to explore more of Japan, which is not a privilege everyone at the brewery has.  I am by no means a morning person, but waking up at 6:30am every day has given me a new perspective, and I also feel more positive throughout the day. So far, I was working in the tank cleaning and transfers team, which meant that I was responsible for transferring beer from one tank to another, and making sure the tanks were clean and not contaminated. From this week, however, I will be switching to the kegging team, and I’m not sure how successful I’ll be at all the heavy lifting that I’ll have to do (a full keg of beer weighs almost as much as I do). Filling and packaging kegs that will be shipped all around the world seems pretty exciting though, and I can’t wait to see what the next two weeks have in store for me. Not knowing how to speak Japanese will definitely be more of an inconvenience now as my kegging mentors do not speak English, but I hope we find an effective way to communicate.

There isn’t much to do here in Naka, and not knowing Japanese handicaps me quite a bit when trying to interact with locals, but I have met a few interesting people at work and hope to know more about them in the 6 more weeks I will spend working with them.

One thought on “Making beer in Japan! | #2

It’s great to hear how much you’re enjoying your time at your internship! New experiences, no matter how small (like waking up at 6:30am!), can be really eye-opening. The picture is really cool, by the way.