Zagreb #3

This week, my supervisor at the NGO allowed me to work with another nonprofit organization, Zagreb Pride. This Saturday, for the sixteenth time, thousands will march for equal rights and protection for LGBT people in Croatia, Europe and all over the world. I’m very excited to be part of the march and of the committee that’s planning it. I’m very thankful that my supervisor gave me this opportunity, especially since I’m very passionate about LGBT issues in general. In the past, I co-founded an organization that promotes marriage equality and equal treatment and protection of LGBT people in Germany, and now, I’m excited to continue this work in Croatia, where only a few years ago, thousands protested against marriage equality and more than two thirds of the voting population voted to restrict marriage rights with a constitutional amendment. Moreover, only a few months ago, a queer nightclub in Zagreb was attacked with tear gas, and to this day, the government refuses to prosecute the attackers. But the protest isn’t limited to LGBT people’s struggles in Croatia. The organizers acknowledge that homo- and transphobia are issues around the world and said they will have signs for each person that got killed in the Pulse shooting in Orlando last year. This shooting was the biggest attack on LGBT people in the Western World in years, and people here are compassionate with their brothers and sisters in the United States. The organizers also told me that Zagreb Pride, as opposed to other Pride events around the continent, is less of a party and way more political than other marches. Thus, they also don’t have Pride Floats or anything like that. I don’t exactly know how I can help the organization, but they told me already that there still is a lot of work to do. I’m excited to see how this week will turn out, and I’m excited to attend the protest on Saturday!

One thought on “Zagreb #3

Konrat, it’s so great that you have the opportunity to collaborate with Zagreb Pride and to work on an issue that you are so passionate about! Stay safe and can’t wait to hear how it turns out! 🙂