#1 First Time Teacher

Hello! I’m excited to begin sharing my experience of my trip to Tanzania thus far! I am working as a volunteer in a school with students ranging the ages of 3 – 7 years old. My tasks are to assist the primary teachers of the class with teaching English and Math. Some days I am left with the class to teach on my own, which is very enriching but also very challenging. The primary languages of Tanzania are Swahili and and English, but most in the country only speak Swahili. The children in the class know a small amount of English, but speak nearly all in Swahili and will respond to certain English words like yes (not no very often…). They are very sweet children and love to engage with me and to show me the great things they feel like they have done whether that be copying an English word correctly or drawing and coloring their favorite pictures.

g.jpg

Their constant excitement and energy is infectious and can’t help but put a smile onto my face. Some days are more challenging than others. At times they just don’t seem to listen both as a product of the language barrier in my not knowing much Swahili and them sometimes not wanting to. However, through it all I have grown to love them in the few weeks that I have been here so far. I can tell that as time goes and I make a continued effort they too have grown in caring for me. I wish they could understand how much I appreciate the amount they have been teaching their teacher. Their innocence and love of life fills me with a joy and motivation that is hard to find anywhere else.

One thought on “#1 First Time Teacher

This is so wonderful! I’ve actually helped teach for a bit in Ethiopia and visited a number of different elementary schools there as well. Though the students may be different, I feel that the innocence and love of life they had was just as similar, if not same, as the students you are teaching. Keep up the good work!