Sun, Sand, and Silicon Valley | #1

This summer, I will be working on a research project about lithium-ion battery degradation at Stanford University. My role as the computer science intern will be to use data analysis to better inform the material science researchers’ conclusions.

I jumped at the chance to work on this project for two reasons:

1. I have never done research before outside of coursework
  2. I am interested in further pursuing these fields of study

Research has always felt intimidating to me. Even now, at the start of my internship, I still do not feel completely confident in this field. I would say this fear stems from the concern that I won’t be prepared or experienced enough to meet all of my research goals. Despite these concerns, I know discomfort acts as an effective catalyst for change. I hope to use this energy towards learning and developing professionally this summer.

The second reason I chose this internship was to explore the fields of Machine Learning and computational sustainability. I plan to take more coursework in these fields before graduation and potentially in graduate school. I think this internship will help to confirm whether I truly enjoy these topics through the real world exposure I will gain.

3 thoughts on “Sun, Sand, and Silicon Valley | #1

Thank you for such a great post! Loved the pictures and the honesty about the challenges associated with your internship. I can’t wait to hear how this experience builds your confidence in the field of research.

Thanks for sharing! I really liked your photos as well; California looks great! I agree with your sentiment towards research. It can definitely be intimidating, especially in the beginning, but I like how you’re viewing it as a challenge and opportunity to grow.

Your photos are gorgeous, especially the one of the art installation! Best of luck with your internship!