Work Environment | #2

This summer marks my 5th internship. With that, I have been lucky enough to experience many different work cultures and environments – both internally among the team as well as the physical environment and office setups. With all these different experiences, it has become more and more apparent to me how important this aspect of a summer internship is. I’ve learned that people want to work in a place where they feel comfortable and excited to come into work. Whether this means more team building events, nicer office décor, longer lunch breaks, better snack selection, people want to come in and be a part of something that they genuinely enjoy.

Comparing all of my internship experiences, I have come to the realization that I enjoy a more lax work atmosphere like I am currently experiencing at a venture firm. I enjoy this because I like that people aren’t dressing in full suits and ties every day, the office is very open, there is freedom to kind of move around and get a coffee if you need one, and everyone seems to enjoy each other’s company. There is an openness about this current work atmosphere that I really appreciate – both because it allows me to interact more easily with my peers and superiors, but also because I believe people are able to work more productively if they are comfortable in their work environment.