Zagreb #4

On Saturday, Zagreb Pride finally took place and was a big success. Many thousand people marched for equal rights for LGBTQ people for two hours, expressing anger with the government and society but also grieving for the victim of transphobic and homophobic hate crimes not only in Zagreb, but all over the world. Many of the protesters stayed for the afterparty that took place in a park in the city center, where queer culture was celebrated by people vogueing and club kids performing. I am beyond thankful that I had the opportunity to work with the organizers of Zagreb Pride and to serve our community. Especially in 2017, when LGBT nightclubs in Croatia were attacked with tear gas, and when the Trump administration passed dangerous transphobic and homophobic legislation, it is important to act and speak out against the systematic oppression of LGBT people. After being around activists that have a full-time job fighting this oppression for a week, it blows my mind even more that many LGBT Americans, including celebrities like Caitlyn Jenner, support Trump and the Republicans, who actively foster this oppression.

2 thoughts on “Zagreb #4

Congrats on the success of the protest! I admire your passion and your activism, and I hope you never stop fighting for what you believe in. Is there anything from your internship that you hope to bring back to the US?

Konrat, good to hear protest #2 went well! It must have been amazing to see everyone come together for LGBTQ rights in this place that you are becoming well-acquainted with.

As another perspective on the LGBTQ Americans who support anti-LGBTQ policies, it may be important to consider that each person has multiple aspects of their identities. While one aspect of their identities may not line up with the political party that they support, perhaps other parts of their identities are more salient to them in that context.

Can’t wait to hear more next week!