Getting Started | #1

This summer I am interning with the Alzheimer’s Association as a Development Intern. It is the largest non-profit funder of Alzheimer’s research and works on multiple levels to provide care and support to those affected by the disease. Being a Biopsychology, Cognition, Neuroscience major, I have always been interested in the human mind and tried to look for ways to take my interest and help others. I have tried facets of psychology like research and therapy and did not find it as rewarding as I had hoped which led me to try something different like non-profits. I chose the Alzheimer’s Association specifically because my family has a history of the disease and having seen how much the organization supports all of those affected, I would love to give back and help others.

Through this internship, I am hoping that I will learn a lot more about the world of non-profits and see what is involved with running such an important organization. As a rising senior, it is becoming even more important that I find out what career path fits best for me, since graduation is unfortunately impending. Trying yet another potential path in psychology only will help me in my decision of what to pursue as a full-time career. I hope that during my three months interning I will help out the organization, supporting the Michigan Great Lakes Chapter to the best of my ability, and gain hands-on experience in non-profits.