Blog Post #5 – Impact of Experience

This has been a rewarding and learning summer. I have come to be more comfortable in my ability to help others and to improve their lives. I have learned various communication skills I had not obtained prior to this experience.

This young girl has unfortunately been faced with various setbacks and obstacles throughout her time with Farmingdale Gymnastics. It was upsetting and frustrating at first watching her digress. Though we like to see progression and success, that is not always the case. It is important to know that this is okay with children with Autism and how to accommodate for these digressions. We have set up an individualized program in order to aid this young girl in getting back to where she was. So far the program has proved successful and, as the photo shows, she is back to performing her skills. She is slowly integrating with the group again. It was upsetting to watch her fall back, but it has been quite rewarding watching her bounce back!

Overall, I am happy to have learned and grown with these children and I plan to continue volunteering here in the future. The children have most definitely impacted my life for the better. The experience of combining my experience inside of the gym and being able to tell it through marketing and advertising platforms in order to ultimately influence more children to join the program and grow with us has been a priceless opportunity!

One thought on “Blog Post #5 – Impact of Experience

What an inspirational post…thank you for sharing!