Hello from New York! | #1

Hello again!!

It’s the summer of 2017 and I am back on this LSA blog with another dance-related internship. Two years ago, I wrote about my adventures- successes and failures- at a local dance studio… and, now I’m happy to share my adventures again! This time I am at American Ballet Theatre, a national dance company declared in 2008 by Congress as “America’s National Ballet Company”.

My position is within the Education Department and, specifically, within the National Training Curriculum (NTC) for US and international teachers. (Can I say I am beyond thrilled that I get to interact daily with men and women who are delivering top-notch instruction to dancers everywhere??) My co-intern and I are responsible for assisting the NTC training sessions as they occur at the New York studio (a lot of preparation of studio space and materials) as well as ensuring quality and correctness of examinations for already certified and affiliate teachers. A lot of my work involves being flexible, focused, and detail-oriented.

So far, in my two weeks on the job, I’ve gotten to observe about 20 hours of teacher training. These observations are from the Pre-Primary to Level 3 sessions as well as the Level 4-Level 5 session either during work hours or sometimes before/after the workday. I’m so happy that I get to work at this wonderful company and gather information to bring back to the studio I teach at back in Ann Arbor. And, this is exactly what drew me to American Ballet Theatre: the chance to learn from the best and to be working for a company that strives for excellence in the arts.

I look forward more with this blog 🙂

One thought on “Hello from New York! | #1

What an amazing internship!