Summer 2017 | #2

I have already completed nearly half of my internship. Although there have certainly been exciting days during which I was able to learn a lot about lawyering, it wouldn’t be an internship without some of the basic paperwork and filing tasks I was given to do. I have to say since there was no official training I still have trouble finding some of the cabinets and differentiating them from one another. But even when I’m filing, I sometimes peruse through the files and read the police reports to see what the case is about. Some of them read like an actual book and trigger my interest whereas others are simple details of the case with lots of numbers and abbreviations I cannot comprehend. But I have come to realize that part of the internship requires me to look things up and find resources on my own. As a result, during some of the free time I have I searched the common drive on the computer and found almost a guide for interns made in 2015. Inside the guide were various terms and explanations of what each process is meant to do. Now I carry the guide with me everyday to work and read through it to better familiarize myself with the terms and processes.

Besides how I am managing with some of the personal struggles, last week I was told to conduct client interviews over the phone. These interviews are meant to talk to the client, get some background information, read the police report to the defendant, as well as answer whatever questions the client may have. However, having done most of my work on the computer by myself I was extremely nervous to take on such a big task. It was important to get as much information out of the defendant as possible to be well prepared for what was ahead. As a result, reading some of the guiding questions my attorney gave me, I wrote down everything from how I was going to introduce myself to how I wanted to word the questions. After a full page of notes on my legal pad, I felt comfortable and confident enough to call the defendants. I found a quiet conference room, sat down, and calmly dialed their numbers only to find out that the numbers were wrong or out of service. With not much more to do there, I had to move on to another task never to find out how my interviews would have went. But on the bright side, I now have all of the resources and questions prepared ahead of time for my next interview!

That’s just some of the office work I have to do but when it comes to the actual court, things get a lot more real and serious. In fact, I witnessed my first testimony yesterday in court. The prosecution and my attorney both took turns asking questions and calling up witnesses to the stand. I have never seen a testimony in real life and what truly amazed me were the line of questioning from both sides. Their questions were direct but did not completely reveal the point they were trying to prove. In fact, each of their questions led to the next and their questions built up to make a complete point. What was also important was that they both avoid questions that would prove to be harmful to their arguments. I also seemed to notice a change in the witness’ attitude when it came to answering and true skills would require working around those obstacles to get the answers they want. Observing my attorney in court, I have already seen so much that continue to inspire me to pursue a career down this path.