Doris Duke Orientation Week! (post 1)

This summer I am part of the second cohort of the Doris Duke Conservation Scholars Program here at U of M. The program’s purpose is to create opportunities for more minorities to get into environmentalism and conservationism. The scholars are chosen from all over the United States and this year I am the only U of M student. Each of us are placed with a faculty member within the school of SNRE where we assist in labs and at the end of the summer create a research poster. This past week was our “orientation week”. The cohort had a few seminars introducing us to the program, and then for the weekend we went up to the university’s biological station.

This week we start our research assignments but last weekend at the bio station we really just canoed, swam, and joked around the campfire. During the day we hiked and I managed to get bit 15 times in two hours by these evil mosquitos. Other than that the trip was really chill, and the group really began to bond. I’m excited to spend the summer with these people and live in the dorms. We’ve already made a lot of memories and I know we’re going to continue to do so.  The program is a two year program so we will be back here next summer as well. I am excited to see where the summer takes us.

2 thoughts on “Doris Duke Orientation Week! (post 1)

Hello Sydney!

My name is Matt and I will be a junior at UofM next fall studying the environment. I applied for multiple Doris Duke Conservation Scholars Programs around the nation (except at UofM) and I learned a lot about the program and how selective the programs are while applying. I just wanted to take this comment to say congratulations on being accepted to that program! That is a huge honor to have been selected from such a tough applicant pool so I hope you are happy to be a part of it!

• June 20, 2017 at 2:13 am

Thanks and good luck!