My First Impressions of My Summer Internship! | #1

Although I am already two weeks into my internship, I still feel like it’s my first day each and every morning as I walk into the office. This may or may not have to do with the fact that I don’t have my own cubicle, so every morning, I struggle to decide whether I should work from the extra/my plastic desk placed in an extra room or my manager’s desk (which she never uses). I feel like that lack of your own personal space in a work setting can really hinder your progress in feeling comfortable.

This summer, I’m interning at 1-800-Flowers.com, yes, that infamous flower company with the website we’ve probably all been guilty of browsing through, near Mother’s Day (in hopes of getting our dear moms a last minute flower delivery), out in Long Island. So, while most of my friends are interning in the city, where they’re experiencing the hustle and bustle of the city work life, I’m finding myself just about doing the opposite.

While we are probably all familiar with the floral company that is known as 1-800-Flowers.com, I was surprised to learn just how much of a multi-million empire it really is, with all the brand acquisitions under its floral name umbrella. Thus, when I found out I would be interning in the ‘Special Projects’ department, I could only imagine what kind of “special projects” I would actually be working on. Needless to say, although I’m interning for 1-800-FlOWERS.com, the work I’m doing often makes me forget I’m actually working at a gift-giving focused company; rather, I find myself often wondering, “how does this relate to flowers?” in the middle of my work. But, in my short time here, I’ve come to realize the beauty in that. Just because I’m in a certain department of a certain type of company that sells a certain type of product, I am not going to be limited to a specific sector. Instead, I get the opportunity to participate in such unique projects and see how the company takes those results to deliver smiles to peoples’ faces (if you didn’t know, that’s one of the company’s taglines: “delivering smiles”).

2 thoughts on “My First Impressions of My Summer Internship! | #1

• October 30, 2017 at 10:29 pm

It’s great that you didn’t caught up in the ‘flowers only’ part of the company, but that you had a paradigm shift to take in that every aspect of that company delivers smiles. Whether it’s ordering office supplies, to sorting through orders, or getting the oil changed in the trucks…EVERY aspect makes it happen.
    I hope you had a wonderful, learning experience there.