First Week As An Intern #1

This week I started my internship at a company called Title Source in downtown Detroit. I am a Continuous Improvement Analyst Intern.

It has been a very hectic week so far because I have had training everyday, meetings to attend, lunches to go to, and a lot of emails to sift through! But I’ve loved every second of it. Detroit is a beautiful city to work in, and I enjoy contributing to the expansion and rebuilding of it.

How/why did I get this internship? It started with searching on Handshake. If you don’t know what that is, then you should definitely go to the Career Center and talk to a Career Coach more about it and how to use it. But it’s basically a great resource to find internships. I was, and am still, not sure exactly what I’d like to do for my career, so I decided to do some research about different jobs and fields. I ended up choosing Human Resources and started to focus on finding an internship in HR. I applied to a few places, one of them being Quicken Loans (QL). I also knew a couple people who worked for QL so they were able to refer me, and I believe that helped get me further in the recruitment/hiring process. Use your connections! Whether it be family, friends, peers, whoever; connections are the best way to find and land an internship from what I have heard and experienced.

Some more about working at Title Source: After only being there for four days, I have already learned so much about the company. My favorite thing about the family of companies (so that would be Tile Source, Quicken Loans, and several other companies in Detroit) is that they are flat companies. This means that they try not to be bureaucratic, and further, treat everyone as if they are at the same level. Everyone’s ideas are important and listened to, even if you’re an intern and have only been there for one day! In addition, everyone has been so accommodating and nice. This company is definitely trying to do everything they can to help you succeed.

More about being a Continuous Improvement Analyst: I am still learning what this job entails, but the gist of it is that you analyze data and shadow people within the company to make processes more efficient, and in turn you make things easier for employees and make the company run better. If you are a problem solver, like to ask questions, and enjoy analyzing, then this would probably be a job you’d enjoy. It is also not essential for you to have a background in business. I am a psychology major with no business classes under my belt. I think my major relates to the job because psychology involves analyzing people and even data to figure out why it is they’re doing what they’re doing. This can be translated into figuring out why employees are doing the processes they are doing, and analyzing the data collected on whatever problem you are trying to solve.

If you have any questions on anything I have talked about in this blog post, then please feel free to reach out to me. My email is nctrush@umich.edu. Or you can comment on this post.

The featured image is The First National Building where I am working in.

One thought on “First Week As An Intern #1

Great tips Nicole for future interns! It will helpful for people to know not only about resources on campus, but how networking can help move your career goals and aspirations along.