Blog 7

We hit our monthly deadline for the July issue, which marks the first of the two issues I’ll be here for the entirety of. It’ll be exciting to see the magazine on the streets and know that a month’s worth of my work is inside. I think it’ll be difficult too to see people reading it and not really knowing how much work went into it, but I guess that’s the nature of work. I tend to think of my own work as so much, while taking that of others for granted.

I wrote an article last week on the UN’s decision to remove their top official in Myanmar. I spoke to the CEO of a human rights NGO in Myanmar to get some fresh quotes for the piece. BBC had gotten theirs out first, but our’s was second, which meant everyone who wrote an article on it afterwards was pulling quotes from mine and BBC’s article. It was definitely an interesting experience to see quotes that I’d worked to collect appear in other people’s articles – something that I’d done for so long, but never thought about the reporter who’d originally produced them.

One of my housemates invited me out for drinks with him and his old friends from when first got to Phnom Penh and joined a group called ‘couchsurfers.’ I still don’t know much about it, but the name seems to be about all of it. I think they’re a group of people who either volunteer their couches to people who would otherwise be staying in hostels. It was cool to meet a lot of them. It seemed more like the Phnom Penh one would expect, which stands in stark contrast to the one I’ve been mainly participating in with those I work with. Both are cool in different ways.

One thought on “Blog 7

Wow, congrats on getting your article out so fast! It’d be cool to see a link if you’d be willing to share. 🙂