#7: The End of the Road

Wow. Here it is. Two months just flew by and I am at the end of my internship. This has been such a wonderful experience, and I encourage anyone who is interested in Eastern Europe/gender and sexuality/public policy work to look into applying to work at Subversive Front in Macedonia as well. Some advice I would give for someone pursuing this internship is learn as much of the language as possible before you come here. Most people that you will interact with will speak English but it’s helpful and appreciated if you know some Macedonian as well (also knowing Cyrillic would definitely be helpful as well). I would also advise people to TRAVEL anywhere and everywhere. Macedonia is close to so many places, and even within Macedonia there is more to see than Skopje. There are tons of little villages worth seeing and towns not too far away as well. Finally, before you come here, learn about the history! I wish I had done that more even during my stay. There are some museums that tell a very little bit, but Macedonia has such a rich and interesting history  (and present); it is worth learning more about it.

As far as this internship is concerned, Subversive Front does some really great research surrounding gender and sexuality here in Macedonia as well as work involving policy change. The people are so nice, the work is interesting, and you will learn so much. I’ve had such a great time, and I am sure others will as well!

One thought on “#7: The End of the Road

I’m glad you had a great time abroad! Maybe one day you can go back and see/experience even more than you already have. Thanks for all of the tips, and safe travels home 🙂